Having to social distance is tough, especially for those of us who love to travel, but thanks to the wonders of technology we can do the next best thing and indulge in some armchair travelling!
I have chosen a few of my favourite travel programmes which I have listed below. They will take you all over the world on some fantastic adventures to far flung places. Sharing experiences, meeting locals and learning about cultures through the eyes of different presenters is as enjoyable as it is inspirational. I can’t think of a better way to spend the weekend!
- Joanna Lumley’s Hidden Caribbean is a 2 part series where she travels across Cuba and Haiti. Also, Joanna’s Trans-Siberian Adventure, a 3 part series is also well worth watching.
- Sue Perkins – The Mekong River. In this series, comedian Sue Perkins, travels up the Mekong, south east Asia’s greatest river on a 3000 mile adventure.
- Francesco’s Mediterranean Voyage. Architect and historian Francesco da Mosta embarks on a journey to cross the Mediterranean Sea. He sails from Venice to Istanbul stopping off at some wonderful places on the way.
- Judi Dench’s Wild Borneo Adventure. This wonderful 2 part series follows 84 year old actress, Dame Judi Dench, exploring the world’s third largest island. She travels through some of the earth’s oldest rainforests and witnessing a vast array of amazing wildlife.
- The Americas with Simon Reeve. In the first of this two part series, the explorer travels through North and South America starting at the northern most point of Alaska. In the first part we follow Simon on his adventures through North America, Mexico and Costa Rica.
- Pedal the World with Felix Starck. This amazing documentary Felix made while he spent a year cycling through 22 countries will inspire you to do something similar.
- Travels with my Father. For an alternative and very amusing travel programme this is one to watch. Comedian Jack Whitehall and his father travel around the world experiencing different cultures in a hilarious way.
- Great Canal Journeys. Actors and husband and wife duo, Timothy West and Prunella Scales, embark on canal journeys across the UK, Europe and the rest of the world by canal barge and narrowboat.
- Great Continental Railway Journeys. Michael Portillo travels by rail stopping along the way through continental Europe, India, Asia, Australia and America.
- Race Across the World. Five teams race from the top to the bottom of Latin America, starting in Mexico City ending up in the most southerly city in the world, Ushuaia in Argentina. Not something many of us would want to do but is compelling to watch!
I hope you agree that this is quite a good mix. Please feel free to send any other recommendations my way. And, for those of you who prefer reading I will be listing a few of my favourite travel books in my next blog.